Sunday, August 15, 2010

Progress Report (08/14/2010)

Team Laser Combat
Progress Report
 for the Week of
08/08/2010 - 08/14/2010

I didn't get much time to work on the project this week because I'm totally drowning in stuff to grade for my classes, but I accomplished a couple of simple things.  I'm sending this on Wednesday because I'm pretty sure I won't get any more time to work on it for the rest of this week.  If I do, I'll throw it onto next week's report.  (I'm gonna try to do this every week from now on.)

Recent Accomplishments:

  • Implemented the log file system that I mentioned in my last report.  Still need to add timestamps and client information; and also create individual server-side logs for each team, but those things are all very easy.
  • Tried unsuccessfully to recreate a bug in registering the player's name with the server.  When I want it to break, it doesn't!
  • Resized Kristen's new logo to prepare it for use on main menu screen.  Pasted it onto a mockup just to see how it'll look.  (And it looks great, BTW.)  Still need to modify the main menu code to actually display it.
  • Captured screen shots of current screens to aid in planning and demonstrating.

Next Steps:
In this exact order, probably:

  • Finish incorporating the log file system into the game server.
  • Add the game logo to the main menu.
  • TLCButtonFactory class for creating custom button objects.  (BTW, I love the new designs that have the hexagons centered instead of at the corners.  Big improvement!  This is exactly why I need real artists like you two!)
  • Finish putting the buttons on the lobby screen
  • Fix the program that runs the server as a standalone application.  I broke it a long time ago!

Next Meeting Agenda:
Here are some things I'd like to do at our next meeting...whenever that may be.

High Priority:

  • Critique of main menu screen, including star field component.
  • Preview of your custom component designs.
  • Prioritization of project phases -- game state vs. lobby screen vs. team configuration screen.
  • Testing issues (like where and how).
  • Project management -- should we be tracking our progress better?
Medium Priority:

  • Review the design for the team configuration interface.
  • Discuss button media -- Mouse-over effects?  Lights?  Animation?  Sounds?
  • Critique custom mouse cursor and discuss other possible uses (in-game commands, for example)
  • Discuss the practicality of automating the creation of isometric floor and wall tiles.  (I may have a great idea.  Experimentation is required.)
Low Priority:

  • Level design:  Should we ask for help when the time comes?
  • Discuss the feasibility of a fully graphical image font.
  • If possible, I would LOVE to hear Justin's music for the menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment