Aside from a few coincidental things, this was not a week of productivity for this project. My birthday, my annual tax appointment, a fantastic business deal, an Epsilon Delta Pi honor society event, and my ongoing struggle to catch up on work took all the free time that I had. Therefore, this week's report doesn't have much to say. So let's get it over with.
- Started working on the level design guide. Will continue to refine it throughout the course of the project's implementation. I plan to bundle LIME with the game along with instructions to tell players how to create their own arenas.
- While I was stuck without a computer for a few hours, I drew four new arena designs that, as of right now, are unnamed.
- Did a little research and talked to some of the appropriate people about setting up an official game development studio under which to develop and publish this project and many more after it.
- Broadcast and handle the "whose turn" message..
- Create the "whose turn" display to show it.
- Implement the Move action. This will involve:
- Decoupling the characters from the map structure.
- Implementing network messages for the Move command.
- Implementing the UI for selecting a destination.
- Done: Implementing a pathfinding algorithm.
- Implementing path following behavior.
- Sometimes network errors will cause an AI to be disconnected immediately after it connects. This causes the lobby screen to wait indefinitely for a player who will never arrive. The server should detect this and try again to create the AI player.
- Solution: Refactor the engine's networking modules to use the Observer Pattern. This will also correct the "Known Issue" mentioned above with abandoned team data.
- Investigate ways to dynamically color the team uniforms. Experiment on the placeholders.
- If this works, add the ability to dynamically color MHFont objects too.
- Finish voice scripts for narration.
- Formalize the flowchart for the AI logic.
- I have a plan for optimizing the AI character initialization routine by consolidating some of the network messages. I've got to try that.
- Create the token factory and displays.
- Implement the Draw Token action.
- Implement the Heal action.
- Implement the Attack action.