Friday, March 30, 2012

Project Proposal

My project proposal has been formally accepted by the university.  Click here to read the latest draft.

I know that my readers are smart people.  (In fact, at least one of my regular visitors to this blog has a Ph.D.)  I also know that you're not all game developers and may not be familiar with all of our "geek speak."  Some of the people who were kind enough to review my proposal for me were also not game developers and had questions about some of the abbreviations that I used, so here's a brief explanation of the abbreviations used in the document referenced above, as well as in my previous blog post.

  • GDD:  Game Design Document -- A non-technical document written in "plain English" that provides the overall creative view of a game by describing the rules, challenges, characters, locations, story, and all of the other things that will go into the game.
  • UI:  User Interface -- The things you see on screen that provide information and/or things that let you enter data by typing, pressing keys, clicking on things, etc.
  • IFF:  If and only if -- an expression from discrete mathematics which asserts that something is true when a correlating condition is true.
  • HUD:  Heads-Up Display -- the part of the UI that visually overlays the game screen and provides additional information about things in the game world.  In many games, this includes things like lives, ammo counts, health levels, mini-maps, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment